Thursday, August 25, 2005

Book I, Tractate 1

I Am Brother Harmonius
I humbly, but with gladness, comment on the gnosis of the Nag Hammadi texts, which are brought to the English language under a single marvelous compendium by James M. Robinson; also, my own inspired concordance to the Dead Sea Scrolls texts, the extant of which has been made available to academic and scholarly scrutiny since 1990 CE, and especially through the scholarly treatment of the texts rendered into publication by Geza Vermes, Michael Wise, Martin Abegg, Jr., and Edward Cook, A. Powell Davies, Millar Burrows, Edmund Wilson, and Marvin Meyer. These scholars and editors have given us rope in crossing the threadbare bridge to our past.

Beginnings


Like many of my generation, my awakening came upon me during the battle between adolescence and puberty, whilst in my fourteenth year. It was then that notions of something greater than this farm, these dirty boots, must be. How could it that I, helpless in 20th century America, could be tossed from coast to coast, with no anchor, no savior?

I studied the skies, I studied the animals. Nature became my shelter, swimming through the trees like a marine creature would in its tidal pool. The quest for spirit, the divine presence, occupied my innermost thought. It is only of late that I am wont to tell it out loud, that the purpose of thou may be affirmed, and that your heart may be glad through the dark night.

I am a free monk, one who does not tithe to a single school or way. I cannot be tethered, nor can I be pigeonholed or catalogued, like some antiquarian book. It is preferable that thou, also, should remain free to choose this path or another, as your quest for understanding grows firm and directed.

The sacred trinity - Love, knowledge, and faith

Brother Harmonius